Search this blog

Sunday, September 12, 2010

iPhone 4 firmware update: Sensor issue slightly got better and HDR pictures that help out with quality.

This is just a quick update on Sensor and HDR pictures with new iPhone Update 4.1

Part 1:

Now, starting with sensor problem. I was so happy to be reading several articles that the sensor was fixed. Fixed? hmm, yeah fixed according to many apple users that had GM final software. Before I go on, is it me or newer hardware is always suppose to be the same or better with certain functions/ updates?

My iPhone 3G’s proximity sensor is far superior to iPhone 4’s proximity sensor by 1 inch in distance and I’m able to move it up and down, side to side while speaking on phone.  So here is the story, I went ahead and updated my iPhone 4’s firmware to 4.1 the morning it got released. At first glance the phone proximity sensor testing was doing great. I made a call and started testing distances, movement and lighting. I was getting 2 to over 2 inches of distance with it not turning back on, I was impressed.

Then all went down hill that night after work. I was sitting in my car, pretty dark. Made a phone call and noticed red proximity light bright. Then I continued the conversation and noticed screen flashing. It would do it when phone was next head, it started warming. Getting hot, perhaps it kept flashing the screen often. I stopped the conversation and decided to test it at home. I got home made a call to other cell phone and screen would keep on turning on and off when it was next to my ear. Several times I had it pressed against my ear and it would not turn off and I would end up pressing facetime or mute with my cheek. I could not believe that with the firmware update my phone had gotten worst

I stopped testing and got my wife’s iPhone 3G to test same number to call and same distances. WOW! what a difference, proximity sensor was working great. It can be moved back and forth a few inches, and moved around quite a bit with no interference. iPhone 3G was over 2 years old and had better proximity sensitivity than iPhone 4. I was frustrated, so took it in the next morning to Apple to get it replaced. Before I did , I called apple and tech said that iPhone 4 cannot be compared to iPhone 3G’s proximity sensor because they are in different places. Yes, that is true. IPhone 4 proximity sensor is right above ear speaker and iPhone 3G’s proximity sensor is to the left of ear speaker. IPhone 4, had to make that change for camera, fair enough, but why did it get worst than iPhone 3G’s sensor.

I was not happy, but Apple likes their customers and likes to keep us happy. Their customer service is great, and they work with you. So I'm in the Apple store and show him pictures and take iPhone 3G to show difference between old device and new. They go ahead and swap out my phone. I am a happy camper, test the new phone in store with firmware update 4.02 and seems to be working better than the one I had but not as good as iPhone 3G.  I get home and begging upgrading to firmware 4.1, during that time thinking to myself (this is great! new firmware will surely give this proximity sensor more accuracy, can’t wait)

Update completed, says my ITunes screen, great. Get the phone and begging the testing.

Called another phone and began testing. HUH, mixed emotions came over me. Proximity sensor not working near as good as iPhone 3G, but much better. During the times I made calls it did not once hang up, accidently hit mute or begin FaceTime call with it.

The screen would still turn off and on but be dimmer, maybe it stops it from hitting keys on phone while in call. Overall it is working better. It could also be because I have a new phone and my old phone’s proximity sensor was not working correctly. Until now, it seems that it is not completely fixed. It is a great phone but still has does hick ups.  I know there are others out there with same problem, what do you guys have to say, write your comments below.

Part 2: HDR photos with iPhone 4

I recently attended a weeding was an official photographer, noticed I don’t say professional because I was using my iPhone 4. Those pictures looked pretty good, actually much better than others. Won’t post those but will post a few Star Wars Collectable photos I took indoors. You can defiantly tell the difference there.  See photos and read labels.

On this photo you see it bright and text on paper above helmet is to bright to tell what it is, check out right picture with HDR enabled.

 

On this photo you can see detail on paper above helmet. You can even see where I edited some private information.

IMG_0084    NO HDR

 

IMG_0085    HDR Enabled

 
 
 

IMG_0086 NO HDR

 

IMG_0087 HDR Enabled

I believe indoors in dark spaces it works good, makes the picture brighter and more detailed. Outdoors the pictures look a little to bright and colors kind of wash away. But it is a great option to have, definitely a great add-on to the iPhone camera. You can take HDR photos in landscape or portrait. When taking HDR photos you will notice a delay back the camera view because it takes a few seconds to store 2 images into you photo library but not an annoyance. Which you do you guys like better, leave you comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment